Thursday, February 5, 2009

14 weeks

On Tuesday we had our second prenatal appointment. All is healthy and properly growing. It was a treat to listen to the baby's heartbeat again, though the conversation I was having with the midwife about constipation took away from the special moment just a bit!

At our next appointment in early March, we'll have another ultrasound with the possibility of finding out the baby's gender.

Here's some exciting news about the baby's development this week:
Week 14
This week's big developments: Your baby can now squint, frown, grimace, pee, and possibly suck his thumb! Thanks to brain impulses, his facial muscles are getting a workout as his tiny features form one expression after another. His kidneys are producing urine, which he releases into the amniotic fluid around him — a process he'll keep up until birth. He can grasp, too, and if you're having an ultrasound now, you may even catch him sucking his thumb.


In other news: Your baby's stretching out. From head to bottom, he measures 3 1/2 inches — about the size of a lemon — and he weighs 1 1/2 ounces. His body's growing faster than his head, which now sits upon a more distinct neck. By the end of this week, his arms will have grown to a length that's in proportion to the rest of his body. (His legs still have some lengthening to do.) He's starting to develop an ultra-fine, downy covering of hair, called lanugo, all over his body. Your baby's liver starts making bile this week — a sign that it's doing its job right — and his spleen starts helping in the production of red blood cells. Though you can't feel his tiny punches and kicks yet, your little pugilist's hands and feet (which now measure about 1/2 inch long) are more flexible and active.

4 comments:

Catalina said...

Oh my gosh! Erica, I saw you last night but had no idea. congratulations! you and steve are going to be great parents. it was really fun to hang out with you yesterday:)

Bein said...

Hi again Erica and Steve,
I can't tell you how much I enjoy the week by week activity log of a growing baby. To read that fills me with humbleness and awe of the power of God. I don't know why I have never read anything like that before, but I have not until now. Life is a precious miracle.
I'm looking forward to our visit.
Love,
Dad L.

Erica said...

Catalina, it was so nice to see you last night! Yes, I was wearing a baggy dress so my growing belly was incognito. I'm excited to become a mom. Being around good parents with good kids like the Dutton family and even the small times I've hung out with you, Heath and Jovie have made me look forward to this new phase even more. :)

Mary Katie said...

Hey Erica! I came across your blog through Ru's. Just wanted to wish you and Steve a huge congratulations! It is a WONDERFUL ride!! Love!